Thursday, September 9, 2010

Pumpkins in the Flower Beds?

Fall is coming, the flowers are just about done blooming, you want your gardens to stay interesting for as long as possible, why not plant a few pumpkins in your garden? Luckily, I was able to think that one through last June and so I planted a giant pumpkin in amongst my perennials.

Now I get to watch that beauty grow at an astonishing rate. It's a nice touch. When all else seems to be ending, I have something amazing to take a peek at.

So, while I'm out in my garden, pulling a few weeds, cutting back some now-ugly perennials, I have this to enjoy. So glad I did. So yep, pumpkins do make a great addition to a flower bed. They can be space hogs however, so only plant one or two. Tuck them way back in the corner and make them reach for the sun. And don't be afraid to give those aggressive vines a little guidance. wind them around your other plants and you'll achieve a happy coexistence. By late summer you'll see them sneaking out to entertain and delight your garden guests!

No comments:

Post a Comment