Thursday, September 9, 2010

Love in a Mist-Nigella damascena 'Persian Jewels'

As the summer to comes to a close, the gardens start to slow down, the annuals run out of steam and the smart gardener looks for ways to improve or save things. On a gray day, my little Heart Garden was looking very tired. The blue lobelia around the edge was mostly brown and straggly. That was sheared back to a neat little mound to allow for a possible final showing of color should we get a bit of Indian Summer. I also trimmed back the white sweet alyssum for the same reason. This only increased my need to balance out the garden by doing something with the towering Love in a Mist. Upon closer inspection, I saw that the seed pods were ripe and ready to harvest! The rugged, spiky two-toned pods are fascinating.

Scissors, twine and in a few minutes I had several bouquets ready to hang upside down and dry.
(Away from moisture and direct sun.)

Next fall and winter I'll have a nice supply for craft and floral projects. In fact the clumps look so nice on the wall that they may only need a ribbon to finish them off! I selected 'Persian Jewels' because I wanted the deeper colors. They will go nicely with my sage and eggplant interior. It's great when I can bring my garden indoors for the winter.

Happy gardening!



No comments:

Post a Comment